Import a Bill of Materials from CSV
With PartBolt, it’s easy to import a Bill of Materials (BOM) into a project.
First, you’ll need to export the BOM from the Electronic Design Automation (EDA) software that you used to design your product. Ensure that the export is in CSV format, and includes at least the following columns:
- Reference designator
- Part number/value
- Footprint (optional)
- Description (optional)
The footprint column is only required if you need to distinguish between parts with the same value—for example, if your design contains 100 nF capacitors in both 0402 and 0603 packages.
Once you’ve exported your BOM, go to PartBolt and open the project you’d like to import the BOM into. You can create a new project from the Projects tab. Then, follow these steps:
- Click the Import CSV button.
- Click the Choose a file… button, and select the CSV file.
- PartBolt will show the first few rows of your CSV file. Using the dropdowns, label the different columns. (reference designator, part number/value, footprint, description) If you have extra columns, you can mark them as Ignored.
- Once you’ve labeled all the columns, click Next .
- PartBolt will group the parts of your BOM by their number/value. Using the dropdowns on the right, match the groups with the corresponding parts in your inventory.
- Once you’ve matched all the parts, click Done.